Slouch Couch Game Studios
Based in Omaha, Nebraska USA
January 31, 2013
Web HTML5(coming soon to ios/android)
DescriptionBreaking the rules is always a thrill, so Drugbound embraces that feeling by providing an infinite sidescrolling runner experience through a nightmare devilscape of heavily-enforced government prohibition.
Games with an agenda aren't everyone's flavor and that's why Slouch Couch Game Studios has focused on making it as fun as possible. Enjoy the scenic cartoon landscapes as you run, jump and slide yourself through four levels of varying insanity, listening to window-thumping chiptune music along the way. Collect rare medicinal herbs and dodge hellish bosses on your path to smashing the prison industrial complex. Borrowing elements from both the bullethell and RPG genres, Drugbound ensures that you'll be challenged and entertained with every step, not to mention the replay value!
Play on any modern browser. (Coming Soon to ios and android devices!).
HistoryProduction on the game started around January 2012. I had already made (with the help of a couple other part-time people) two small games without any plan to release to a large audience, but this third game I decided I wanted to try my hand at becoming a dedicated indie studio including marketing, sales, QA, and releasing on multiple platforms. I picked a topic that I feel strongly about as an adult living in the US. I'm not a very big drug user by any stretch of the word, but I still find it insane that marijuana has been demonized to the level it has basically because some racist guy in the 20s wanted to further his career and was afraid of jazz and mexicans. I don't understand how any educated rational human could agree with this country wasting trillions of dollars and incarcerating so many thousands of non-violent criminals (most of them minorities) based on racist fear and antiscience. It's absurd so I wanted to make a game about it that may hopefully get more people interested in the topic.
- HTML5 Web (and multi-platform coming soon)
- dozens of colorful and inventive ways to gib yourself and die
- 4 distinct levels to run through each with their own crazy boss
- Fantastic chiptune music score provided by Electric Children
- Collect rare herbs fantastic cursed items
- FREE AS IN FREE PIZZA (support via responsible in-app purchases)
Drugbound: Release Trailer YouTube
Drugbound: Alpha Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Drugbound: IGF 2013 Trailer YouTube
Awards & Recognition
Drugbound has not received any awards or recognitions yet. Please check back later to see if things change.
- "..an absolute joy to play.."
- Konstantinos Dimopoulos, IndieGames.com
- "I’m an absolute sucker for parallax scrolling -- watching “Drugbound”’s desertscape roll by is a huge part of its appeal."
- Joseph Leray, MTV Multiplayer
- "the Canabalt of Cannabis"
- Joseph Bernstein, Kill Screen
- "Homan is paving the way for others, not just indie game devs, to express their political views through different forms of media."
- Anna Villafuerte, PCG Media
About Slouch Couch Game Studios
We make games on earth. They are html5 and multiplatform.
More information on Slouch Couch Game Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Game Developer, Designer, Business, and Marketing, Slouch Couch Game Studios
UI & Graphic Design